This project is a collection of four main ventures that share the same goal- environmental conservation. These four initiatives include coral reef rehabilitation, mangrove tree rejuvenation, blue crab conservation and education. This project involves direct involvement in conservation efforts, from planting and repopulating ecosystems to educating local school children about environmental science.
What's not Included
Volunteers will be staying in an authentic, Thai seaside village. Prachuap Khiri Khan is situated away from the hustle and bustle of the more popular tourist areas, giving it a secluded and authentic, beach feel. With a white, sprawling coastline enhanced by the towering, bright green limestone mountains, Prchuap Khiri Khan is the perfect place for volunteers to experience Thailand away from the tourist crowds.
As part of the marine conservation efforts, volunteers may be involved in working to rehabilitate coral reefs and mangrove tree populations as well as conserving blue crabs. Volunteers may also be afforded the opportunity to get involved in an education initiative, helping to teach local children about environmental friendliness.
Some of your tasks may include:
- Planting mangrove trees
- Rehabilitating corals reefs (building blocks, “replanting” coral pieces in the seafloor)
- Collecting blue crab eggs and releasing newborns back into the wild
- Teaching local children about environmental conservation
- Beach cleaning
Please take note of the project's minimum requirement:
- Basic level of competency in English
- Police clearance form
For an additional fee, volunteers can receive dive training. Those with diving certificates may be able to check out and report back on coral rehabilitation in the deeper areas.
Travel Extras (Not Included):
You can extend your stay in Thailand with one or more great program add-ons for an additional fee. Here are the opportunities we recommend:
- Culture Week (highly recommended): This seven-day jam-packed week is a great opportunity to learn about Thailand and meet other international volunteers. It offers tours around historical areas (Ayutthaya historical park), Thai language lessons, cooking lessons, taste-testing (Thai BBQ), school visits, sightseeing (Wat Phra Phutthabat Temple - Buddha's footprint) and so much more! This week will ease you into your volunteering experience by providing you with an better understanding of the history, culture and customs. Please note that the schedule can change at any time based on the weather conditions.
- Thai Boxing: Sign up for authentic and traditional Thai boxing classes under the provincial champion of the Sing Buri district. Learn the basic principles and foundations of the exquisite art form, Muay Thai.
- Hua Hin Beach & Volunteer Week: This jam-packed week will help you make the most of your experience in Thailand. You will have the chance to go on cultural excursions to learn about Thai Buddhism and assist monks with daily chores. You will also have the opportunity to teach local children with some time dedicated to beach conservation. On a few afternoons you will have free time to relax at the beaches of Hua Hin!
- Jungle Trek: Get ready for adventure as you trek through the tropical forests west of Sing Buri. You'll have the opportunity to sleep under the stars, trek to spectacular waterfalls and caves hidden in the jungle and more!
- Thai Buddhism Immersion in Wang Nam Khiao: During this week-long program you will be introduced to Buddhism. You will have the chance to discuss Buddhism with a local monk and enjoy a two-day stay at the Wat Suptawee Temple to learn walking and sitting meditation forms as well as experience the daily life of monks.