The focus of this project is to educate, support, and empower disadvantaged, orphaned, and vulnerable children and youth using a sustainable approach. By providing children and youth with a better education and a brighter future, this project aims to promote self-sufficiency and enable growth within Cape Town communities.
What's not Included
Voted one of the world's top tourist destinations Cape Town boasts an incredibly wide range of attractions. The area hosts several unique cultural and heritage sites, such as Robben Island, Table Mountains, and the V&A Waterfront. As a city alive with creativity, color, sounds and tastes, Cape Town also offers an abundance of outdoor activites, from hiking, to surfing, to water skiiing.
The area of Cape Town in which this project takes place is called Cape Flats. This area encompasses a number of townships, including Khayelitsha, Langa, and Philippi. These communities are a melting pot of different cultures, ethnicities and languages. Yet across these differences, there are many parallels such as poverty, unemployment and HIV/AIDS.
On this project, you will have the option to work solely with orphans at an emergency care home for abandoned and orphaned children, after-school care program, and/or creative arts after care program. You may also choose to volunteer part-time with orphans, and devote the rest of your time to teaching, sports development, and healthcare intiatives.
Emergency care home for abandoned and orphaned children: This is a home for children ages 0 – 8 whose mission is to find a stable foster home for abandoned or orphaned children as soon as they are ready. Unfortunately, this often takes time as it is estimated that about 60% of the children brought here are HIV+ and must first be medically and emotionally stable before moving on to a more permanent home. Your duties here will involve:
- Implementing activities to help the children with basic developmental needs, such as motor skills, social play, and language
- Provide one-on-one attention helping to prepare the younger children for transitioning into pre-school
- Providing reading support and homework help
- Organizing outdoor activities such as gardening or arts-and-crafts
- Planning and implementing fun and educational games to help develop skills such as team work and leadership.
- Planning and implementing music, arts and carafts, and/or theatre activities sessions.
- Sports development: coach children in a variety of after-school sports and assist with designing drills and fitness tests.
- Teaching: work with teachers or provide one-on-one attention to children struggling to keep up in school.
- Healthcare: assist caregivers prepare medication and vitamins for children affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Girl Impact: volunteer at a Boys & Girls Club, youth support group, or particicpate in English lessosn for women
During school holidays activities may differ from the usual schedule, but the work will be equally engaging and rewarding. The school holidays are as follows:
- January 1st - January 20th
- April 2nd - April 12th
- June 27th - July 19th
- October 3rd - October 11th
- December 10th - December 31st
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 17
- Basic English
- Ability to work well with others
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police background check
Most volunteers spend their free time out and about exploring the assortment of exciting opportunities in Cape Town and the surrounding areas. The program provides optional trips for an additional cost to the world-famous Table Mountain, Boulders Beach, and the Cape Point Peninsula. For volunteers looking to try something new, the program organizes surfing lessons, sky diving and shark cage diving for an additional fee.
Project Orientation (Included):
On arrival at the Cape Town project, you will receive a comprehensive orientation, including:
- Introduction to Cape Town and the surrounding areas
- Overview of the Cape Town project and the communities in which you will be working
- Introduction to all project staff
- Familiarization of the surrounding neighbourhood where you will be living