In 1994 post-Apartheid, the South African government removed Physical Education from the school curriculum. While this course has since then been reintroduced, it only forms a small part of school curriculums and daily schedules. As a result, students' physical activity is very low. The need for intervention remains great as sport and exercise is an integral part of childhood development and helps to increase concentration and keep children off the streets and out of trouble.
This project aims to encourage children in the struggling communities of Cape Flats to engage in fun, beneficial physical activity. Volunteers will have the opportunity to become role models and friends to the children they coach as they instill self-confidence and the importance of leadership, teamwork, and communication.
What's not Included
Voted one of the world's top tourist destinations Cape Town boasts an incredibly wide range of attractions. The area hosts several unique cultural and heritage sites, such as Robben Island, Table Mountains, and the V&A Waterfront. As a city alive with creativity, color, sounds and tastes, Cape Town also offers an abundance of outdoor activites, from hiking, to surfing, to water skiiing.
The area of Cape Town in which this project takes place is called Cape Flats. This area encompasses a number of townships, including Khayelitsha, Langa, and Philippi. These communities are a melting pot of different cultures, ethnicities and languages. Yet across these differences, there are many parallels such as poverty, unemployment and HIV/AIDS.
On this project, you will have the option to work solely on the sports development project, or you may also choose to volunteer part-time with the sports development project and devote the rest of your time to teaching, oprhan care, and healthcare intiatives.
Physical education: With this project, you will work alongside the school's physical education instructor and be responsible for any of the following:
- Help develop lesson plans and games
- Design fitness tests and drills to improve and track physical fitness levels
- Share any of your own personal skills or passions in the area with the coach and students
- Plan fun and active games (think obstacle courses and drills) for the children to enjoy
- Play and supervise sports games, including soccer, cricket, field hockey, or basketball
- Volunteers who choose to volunteer part-time with the sports development program will assist with other initiatives in the community, including:
- Orphan care: provide your support to a wide range of orphanages in the area.
- Teaching: work with teachers or provide one-on-one attention to children struggling to keep up in school.
- Healthcare: assist caregivers prepare medication and vitamins for children affected by HIV/AIDS.
During school holidays activities may differ from the usual schedule, but the work will be equally engaging and rewarding. The school holidays are as follows:
- January 1st - January 20th
- April 2nd - April 12th
- June 27th - July 19th
- October 3rd - October 11th
- December 10th - December 31st
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 17
- Basic English
- Passion for sports
- Ability to work well with others
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police background check
Project Orientation (Included):
On arrival at the Cape Town project, you will receive a comprehensive orientation, including:
- Introduction to Cape Town and the surrounding areas
- Overview of the Cape Town project and the communities in which you will be working
- Introduction to all project staff
- Familiarization of the surrounding neighbourhood where you will be living.
During your free time, you are welcome to explore any of the various exciting outdoor activities or culturally-enriching sites Cape Town has to offer. Past volunteers have enjoyed:
- Exploring Africa's "Big 5" game reserve
- Swimming with Penguins at Boulder Beach
- The hop-on, hop-off Cape Town sightseeing bus
- Hiking or taking a cable car to the top of Table Mountain
- Cage diving with sharks
- Sky diving
- Shopping at the V&A Waterfront