This project is aimed at the development of Jambiani. Volunteers can contribute to a number of different projects throughout town which help the local community, including working in the educational system and helping to strengthen and promote women's empowerment in the village. A special focus is given to teaching English to the local community and improving the fluency of children of all ages, as well as their teachers.
What's not Included
Volunteers will spend most of their time in Jambiani, a gorgeous coastal town located in southern Zanzibar which boasts gorgeous white sand beaches and picture perfect sunrises. Visitors will enjoy the warm waters and leisurely pace by which the town operates. Jambiani is only an hour drive from Zanzibar Town, the capital of the Zanzibar archipelago.
Volunteer Involvement in Local Pre-Schools: While the educational system in the community is ill-equipped, the students understand the importance of education and have a very strong desire to learn. You will assist the local students and teachers by:
- Teaching English to children, as well as their teachers
- Developing the children's creative and motor skills through crafts such as painting, drawing, and coloring
- Playing developmental games with the children
- Helping to maintain and repair the facilities
Adult English Classes: The tourism industry is a sector with a lot of potential in Zanzibar. Volunteers will get involved in teaching English to adults from nearby villages to help them better communicate with tourists. Volunteers will also teach English to other community groups, including the local football team, teenagers, and local women’s groups.
A typical day: At 8:30 am, you will cycle to your volunteer placement within Jambiani village where you can expect to work from about 9:00 am to 5:00pm, with a 1 to 2 hour break for lunch in the afternoon. After work, you can unwind on the beach or at an internet cafe. Dinner is served at 6:30, and in the evening volunteers can relax, play games and, on some nights, enjoy the activities scheduled by staff.
Fridays are usually occupied with a community project, such as planting trees, repairing or maintaining schools, cleaning the beach, working in the gardens or organizing sports activities with the nursery school children. It can also include some prep time for lessons the following week.
You will have Saturdays and Sundays off to do any tourist activities or to rest from your week of volunteering
Holidays: Please note that for the month of Ramadan and the 4 days of Eid, all school children will be on holiday and the schools will be closed so there will be no volunteer work associated with the schools during this month. During school holidays, volunteer will take part in community projects which may include:
- Community beautification through painting, repair work, building
- Environmental maintenance work, such as litter pick-ups and planting trees
- Creating school resources such as posters and lesson plans
- Facilitating sports activities
- For a detailed holiday schedule, please consult our placement coordinators.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 17
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police Clearance Form
- Good level of English
- Flexibility and open mindedness
- High level of independence and emotional strength
- Motivation to work with children
During your stay you will have the opportunity to enjoy some incredible attractions in the surrounding areas such as Mikumi National Park, Ruaha National Park, the famous Serengeti National Park, the unique Ngorongoro Crater, and the mighty Kilimanjaro! Zanzibar and Tanzania offer a variety of tours and safari options, which are perfect for a weekend getaway or a pre/post project safari. Most activities are priced all-inclusive providing transport, transfers, accommodation, guide and driver, park entry fees, etc. The project coordinators in Zanzibar will be happy to assist you in exploring these options:
- Incredible snorkeling and scuba diving off Zanzibar island
- Jozani Forest
- Swimming with dolphins at Kizimkazi
- Stone Town City Tour
- Spice Tour
- Tour of Prison Island