This project has been working closely with a Greek conservation organization since 1983, making it one of the longest-running conservation projects in the Mediterranean. The area where the project is located is a major nesting area for loggerhead turtles and the goals of the project are to ensure that the nests are protected so as many hatchlings as possible can survive as well as to increase public awareness about the environmental footprint being left in the area.
Because this project is specifically designed for teenage volunteers, there is a high level of supervision by well-trained staff and conservation experts.
What's not Included
The village of Giannitsochori is a small resort town with white sandy beaches that form part of a protected nature area. The region has plenty of historical, archaeological and natural sites that are worth a visit including the famous Ancient Olympia, the birth place of the Olympic Games.
There is plenty of work to be done at this conservation project and volunteers will rotate between tasks. Because the summer months are hatchling season, many of the activities will focus on the nesting and hatching of baby sea turtles. Much of the work is hands-on and up close which means participants will have a real chance to see the life cycle of the sea turtles. There is a lot of physical activity and long walks so volunteers should be prepared to work hard.
Some of your tasks may include:
- Going on morning turtle patrols to locate new tracks and nests
- Surveying the area and recording the data
- Installing grids to help protect the nests from predators
- Harvesting bamboo for the nest grids
- Assisting with educational activities for the local community and tourists
- Relocating a nest to protect it from the sea or human activity
Please take note of this project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 15 - maximum age 17
- Good level of physical fitness
- Flexibility to work early mornings on some days
- Desire to contribute to the project goals
- Good level of English
- Written "Motivation Letter"
- Parental Consent Form
- Medical and Travel Insurance
- Police clearance