Thank you for visiting GoEco!
The project you are looking for is currently unavailable, however here are some other great volunteering options that may interest you:
Israel - Multicultural Eco Summer Camp
Volunteer at an exciting multi-cultural summer camp for Druze, Christian, and Muslim youth in northern Israel. This is an amazing opportunity to experience the region's unique cultures and make new friends from around the world.
|Location of Project||Northern Israel|
|Project Length||16 days|
|Arrival Airport||Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion|
|Volunteer Work||Camp Counselor, teaching English|
|Number of Participants||Min 4 - Max 6 volunteers|
|Age||20 - 40|
|Project dates||28 July - 11 August, 2016|
|Restrictions||Please note that due to the cultural norms of those living in the area we can only accommodate female volunteers.|
|Accommodation||Local family homestay|
|Food||3 meals a day (except during orientation)|
|Support||Local in-country team and 24hr emergency support|
|Orientation||GoEco volunteer and travel orientation in Jerusalem|
|Pre-Departure Kit||Full project details will be sent following registration|
|Health Insurance||Comprehensive health insurance for volunteering in Israel|
What's Not Included
The Galilee, a mountainous region bathed in natural beauty, covers a large area of northern Israel. The national antiquities parks, farming communities, nature reserves Jewish holy sites make this part of Israel popular for visitors. This area is densely populated with a variety of ethnic communities of Druze, Muslims and Jews. Because of this diversity and the history of the area, visitors will find an exciting mix of colors, sounds, cuisine, cultures and traditions.
About the Project
This project was developed in cooperation with the Israel Association of Community Centers' (IACC) mission is to advance the quality of life in Israel's most diverse communities by tailoring programs to the unique needs of each community. GoEco volunteers will have the opportunity to work alongside the IACC staff and volunteers from the National Israeli Service for Adult Volunteering (known as SHALEM) in one of several small villages located in northern Israel. The camp is open to children from local Druze, Christian, and Muslim communities and is based on the principles of coexistence, arts, sports, and ecology, all taught in English.
Orientation in Jerusalem
Your volunteer adventure will start off with a GoEco orientation at a fantastic hostel in the center of Jerusalem. The orientation is a great way to meet fellow volunteers and travelers, and includes the following:
- Volunteer preparation and travel directions to the program
- Expert advice for traveling around Israel during and after your volunteer placement
- Walking tour of Jerusalem, including the Old City and the famous Machane Yehuda market
- Discount card to experience Jerusalem's vibrant nightlife
- 1 night dorm accommodation and breakfast (private rooms are available at an extra price)
The GoEco orientation will begin at 10:00 AM on Thursday, July 28th. The next morning, you will travel to their volunteer project via public transportation. Full travel details to Jerusalem and the project will be provided upon registration.
During the first 2 days of the volunteering period, you will settle in with your host family and prepare for the summer camp.
Volunteer Work and Contribution
During your time on this project, you will be assisting in the running of this unique and diverse summer camp program for children. The schedule and activities may change according to demand and unforeseeable events but in general volunteer activities may include:
- Organizing various activities for the campers
- Setting up and conducting workshops on ecology, sports, music, and arts
- Rotating between the workshops to teach English
- Escorting day trips (e.g. swimming pool, nature hikes, theme park, etc.)
Volunteer hours during the camp day will be 08:30 - 14:00. Between 14:00 - 16:00 you will have time to prepare activities for the next day.
**Please note that due to the cultural norms of those living in the area we can only accommodate females on this project.
Accommodations: You will have the opportunity to live with a local family during the program, allowing you to learn more about local customs and cuisine. At the home stay, you will have a single or shared room with a bed, linens, and shared bathroom.
Food: You will eat breakfast and dinner at the home stay, and lunch will be given at the Community Center.
Laundry: Limited laundry facilities are available.
Internet: Available at local internet cafes.
Volunteers will join day trips to the beautiful Sea of Galilee and other local attractions. During the evenings, volunteers can socialize and use the local gym. The community center and host families will try and organize extra activities including cooking classes and lectures.
- Minimum age 20, maximum age 40
- High level of English (very important)
- Excellent state of health
- No alcohol during stay at village
- Clothes that cover shoulders and knees
- Motivation to work with children
- Open mind and willingness to experience new cultures
- Police Clearance Form
C.V. / Resume
This program is a unique cultural experience and volunteers need to respect local customs that are very different from what is common back home, for example:
- It is forbidden for volunteers to drink alcohol while staying at the village
- Volunteers are expected to inform their host families where they are going after volunteer hours and not return late at night.
- Volunteers need to be highly motivated to work and practice English with children and host families, even though it may be difficult to communicate.
- Other cultural points will be given during the orientation and camp.
Here's an excerpt of Veronika's experience:
Here's an excerpt of Xin's experience:
Here's an excerpt of Bexsyra's experience:
Here's an excerpt of Anca's experience:
Here's an excerpt of Sylvie's experience:
Head over to our GoEco Blog to read her full post and other experiences from participants in the summer camp!