This project centers around a conservation organization which aims to spread conservation-based knowledge while assisting and caring for turtles. The project receives injured turtles from local fisherman and the fully dedicated team cares for the turtles until they are ready to be released into the sea again. They also care for new hatchlings until they are big enough to survive on their own in the sea. The project has strong affiliations with a number of worldwide marine conservation organizations where all the data about the turtles is then sent and tracked.
What's not Included
This project is based on a beautiful island called Nusa Penida. Nusa Penida is a quiet and relaxed island where divers and bird lovers alike can enjoy a day on secluded,white sand beaches along the north and northwest coasts. The surrounding limestone caves and high coastal cliffs make for scenic views in every direction. Hindu temples and cultural sites pepper the landscape and offer exciting views into the local history.
Orientation Week (Included):
This week-long introduction is a perfect opportunity to meet your fellow volunteers and surround yourself with the local Bali community! Before you begin your volunteer project on Nusa Penida, you will enjoy an exciting orientation in Penestanan Kaja village (just 5 minutes from Ubud center) that will provide an introduction of Bali culture, such as a walking tour of the local markets, attending a Balinese traditional dance show, taking Balinese language classes, participating in painting and flower classes, and visiting famous temples. The orientation program runs from Monday through Friday, giving you the weekend to relax or explore the area on your own before you start work at your project.
Following orientation you will be transferred to Nusa Penida. As a volunteer, you will play a vital role in the rehabilitation of injured turtles, looking after hatcheries, nurturing young hatchlings and monitoring their release back to the ocean. Some other exciting opportunities you will be given as a volunteer are working on a seaweed farm, visiting the turtle conservation center, working at the turtle sanctuary and teaching children in local schools about turtle rehabilitation. Some of your responsibilities may include:
- Feeding the turtles and monitoring their health
- Cleaning the turtle tanks
- Cleaning and collecting corals for the sanctuary
- Light construction work
- Attending educational awareness classes
- Looking after sick or injured turtles
- Patrolling the beach for turtle eggs and nurturing new hatchlings for survival
- Creating protected turtle beach areas
- Collecting data to send to world marine conservation organizations
- You must be back at your accommodations before 10:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Volunteer activities and schedules can change at any time based on the needs of the project.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Good level of English
- Police Clearance form
- Genuine interest in turtles and conservation education
- Good level of physical fitness
- Flexible and open-minded
There is plenty to do on Nusa Penida, but there are also some great places to visit outside the island. Just 45 minutes on a speed boat will get you to the mainland of Bali, where you can immerse yourself in the local culture and historical and archeological sites. You can also spend your time surfing, diving or exploring the lush rice terraces and volcanic hillsides. Bali has something to offer every visitor. Divers can also visit Sanur, an east coast town, where you can find yourself dining in amazing restaurants and biking through the lovely scenery.
Consider joining one or more of these special programs to add another dimension to your experience in Bali:
- Yoga and Mind Week: Learn about yoga and meditation practices to improve your health and well-being.
- Beach Week: Relax and unwind on Sanur beach and enjoy the tranquil and idyllic setting as well as fun snorkeling and cycling day trips.
- Bali Adventure: Enjoy an adventure-filled week of trekking up volcanoes, cycling through town and enjoying a relaxing massage at the end of the week.