This project aims to protect and preserve the vulnerable baby sea turtles that hatch on the beaches of Greece. The project runs from May/June to September and closely follows, monitors, and protects the nesting season of the Loggerhead sea turtle to ensure the maximum success rate of turtle hatchlings.
What's not Included
Come experience the beautiful Mediterranean country of Greece. Explore the deep history of the land which founded democracy, Western philosophy, Western literature, political science, the Olympic Games, and major mathematical and scientific principles. Greece's ancient history has earned it 17 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, all waiting to be explored.
This project takes place in the Lakonikos Bay, located in the southern part of the Peloponnese Peninsula. This is a stunning coastal location with breath-taking beaches and a plethora of fantastic wildlife and scenery to explore.
Your specific duties as a volunteer will vary from month to month throughout the season.
May/June: the work focuses on identifying new nests, and protecting them from any environmental hazards. Specifically, your work may include:
- Early morning beach walks to identify any overnight nesting
- Marking new nests
- Moving nests if they lie below the high tide line
- Building a protective barrier around the nests
- Building a runway for turtles to follow to the water so they don't get lost when they hatch
- Early morning beach surveys to monitor which nests hatched
- Counting number of hatchlings (by counting tracks in the sand leading from the nest down to the water)
- Nest excavations to determine the success rate of the nest
- Nest excavations continue through the end of hatching season
- Taking down protective bamboo barriers
Volunteer work is organized on a rotating schedule of 3-4 hour shifts, with evenings and weekends off to spend how you wish.
Please note: it is important to remember that nature is unpredictable, and no matter what month you go, there are no guaranteed turtle sightings. Regardless, your work during any of the months will still be contributing to the safety of the turtles when they do hatch and the success of hatching season.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Ability to work in a team
- Good physical fitness - can be walking up to 5 km at once
- Ability to work at early hours of the morning
- Good level English
- Flexible attitude
- Travel and medical insurance
- Criminal background check (must be officially translated into English)