Due to an increase in poverty, hunger and unemployment, education and community care in Victoria Falls began to deteriorate in 2000. This project aims to provide opportunities for families to contribute and help these once thriving communities. Through interacting with and educating orphans and local children and encouraging sustainable development by assisting in the community vegetable gardens, lending a hand in building renovations, helping those living with HIV/AIDS and caring for the elderly, you and your family will provide much needed support and assistance to the warm people of Victoria Falls.
What's not Included
Zimbabwe is a landlocked country located in Southeast Africa, nestled between Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa. In addition to being known as the "adrenaline capital" of Africa, Zimbabwe is also home to the stunning Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the World and measured at over twice the height of Niagara Falls (about 108 meters)! Vic Falls is a unique place surrounded by inspiring people and some of the beautiful scenery and wildlife Africa has to offer.
During your time on this program, volunteers will have the opportunity to engage in a range of worthwhile projects ranging from community development, childcare, education and lion rehabilitation.
Orphange: The Rose of Charity Orphanage was founded in 2007 by a local woman wanting to help children and families affected by the disorder of previous years as well as make a positive contribution to her community. The primary aim of the charity is to improve the quality of life of the children, families, and caregivers living in the broader communities of Victoria Falls.
The orphanage, while providing support to children in the community, also focuses on highlighting the importance of education while and encouraging the children to reach their full potential. You will visit the orphans, who range in age from babies to teenagers, around 4 times a week and assist with a range of educational and recreational activities. These tasks may include:
- Interacting with children
- Providing extra lessons,
- Teaching basic English, Math and Arts and Crafts
- Organizing and playing games with the children
- Facilitating sports activities such as Soccer and Netball
- Assisting teachers with teaching skills or methods that you remember from home
- Help teach the children Math and Reading skills
- Sing songs and teach them about your home and culture
- Playing games
- Engaging in extra-curricular and sports activities
The Old People’s home is poorly funded and relies heavily on volunteer support and supervision. The residents often rely on volunteers for help in a host of different areas. These tasks could include:
- Basic support
- Maintenance work
A typical day: After a 7:00am breakfast you will leave for your morning activities at 8:00am. Lunch will be between 12:00 and 13:00 followed by a break and project preparation until approximately 15:15. The afternoon volunteering will run from 15:20 until 17:00 when you will go back to your accommodation for dinner at 18:00. Your evenings and weekends are free to relax or take advantage of the project add – on’s, which will allow you to explore and enjoy the surrounding area.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Good level of English
- Flexibility and open mindedness
- Passion for working with children
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police clearance form
Project Orientation (Included):
On arrival at the Victoria Falls project you will receive a comprehensive orientation regarding the following:
- You will receive your volunteer's manual which includes information that will help with your integration into the project, as well as give you further tips for your involvement at the Victoria Falls program.
- Introduction to all senior project staff and heads of departments
- Familiarization of the work areas
- Familiarization with all duties you will be involved in.
During your stay at Victoria Falls you will have the opportunity to enjoy exciting activities in Africa’s “adrenaline capital” and excursions to some of Zimbabwe’s spectacular sights. This will allow you time to interact with fellow volunteers, meet other travellers, explore new territory and make this family holiday full of life long memories!
- Helicopter flights over the Falls
- Bungee Jumping
- White water rafting
- Horse rides
- Elephant rides
- Game drives
- Gorge Jumps
- Weekend trips to neighboring Botswana
3-Day Antelope Park Trip - Optional
We offer an optional 3-day trip to Antelope Park, which costs roughly US$250. This trip takes you to some of the most spectacular spots that Zimbabwe has to offer and is a great chance for volunteers to interact and get to know each other better. Here is an example of some of the amazing activities you can explore at Antelope Park:
- Elephant ride
- Horse ride
- Lunar horse game viewing – available for 6 days over full moon period
- Boat cruise
- Night encounter
- Accommodation and all meals
- Fuel, Transport, Guide and Driver
- One lion walk, a tour of the program and other activities such as cub viewing and lion feeding.