The mission of this project is to improve the quality of life of the children of the greater Victoria Falls community, using education as a means to help students reach their full potential. This project centers around an orphanage that was founded in 2007 by a Victoria Falls community member hoping to make a positive impact in her community. The aim is to protect, care for, and support the orphaned children of the Victoria Falls community. The orphanage opens its arms to all children, especially those who require economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, disease, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, parental mortality, or poverty.
Volunteers will also be assisting at Monde Primary School, which is run by a group of dedicated and passionate local staff members who do their best to provide for the children. Unfortunately, the school is severely under-funded and lacks many basic resources, so they can really use the added support of volunteers.
What's not Included
Zimbabwe is a landlocked country located in Southeast Africa, nestled between Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa. In addition to being known as the "adrenaline capital" of Africa, Zimbabwe is also home to the stunning Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the World at over twice the height of Niagara Falls (about 108 meters)!
In addition to assisting at the orphanage and primary school, there will be other ways for volunteers to get involved. Other volunteer duties include the following and vary depending on the timing of the project as well as the needs of the community:
- Assist teachers in the classroom
- Provide one-on-one tutoring to students in need
- Help teachers create lesson plans
- Organize fun sporting activities for the students
- Work alongside community members to maintain their vegetable garden
- Play a role in the wildlife conservation efforts in the Victoria Falls area at the nearby lion rehabilitation center
- Spend time playing games with the children
- General maintenance of the orphanage (i.e. help with renovations, day-to-day maintenance)
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 17
- Good level of English
- Flexibility and open mindedness
- Passion for working with children
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police clearance form
During your stay in Victoria Falls, you will have plenty of opportunities to explore some of Zimbabwe's spectacular sights. For an additional cost, you can also enjoy exciting activities in the "adrenaline capital" of Africa, including: helicopter flights over the falls, bungee jumping, horse-back excursions, elephant rides, game drives, gorge jumps, skydiving, canoeing, and white water rafting.