© 2022 GOECO | All rights reserved
Develop & Design | Msite
Galle is a beautiful area in southern Sri Lanka that is surrounded by lush greenery and is in close proximity to world-class beaches! Many of the nearby beaches are prime surfing spots and others are more relaxing. There is even a turtle lagoon nearby. Galle is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, complete with Dutch-colonial buildings, ancient religious buildings, museums and more. Galle is also quite trendy, and is home to cafes, specialty shops and boutique hotels.
Sea turtles in Sri Lanka are an endangered species. The species is threatened by human poachers as well as predators. The Sri Lankan government has approved the creation of hatcheries in order to conserve this species.
Volunteers on this program spend 60% of their time working in the hatchery, and the other 40% is spent on activities such as beach cleans
and creating awareness within the local community. During nesting season (November-May) there are two night patrol camps each month where participants camp out on the beach and protect the nests. Please note that this schedule may change at any time.
Typical hatchery tasks may include:
Please note: Depending on the age and abilities of the kids, the local project coordinator and hatchery staff will assign tasks accordingly. Due to cultural norms of Sri Lanka, participants are required to remove any body piercings and cover all visible tattoos while at the project site.
Internet: Each volunteer may use up to 5 GB of WiFi in the volunteer house during their stay.
Laundry: Laundry services are available for an additional fee.
Accommodations: Families will stay in a private room in the volunteer house. There is a private pool for use. The house has eco-friendly features including solar heating panels. There may be up to 52 volunteers in the house at a time.
Food: Three meals per day will be prepared by the house chefs, using local, fresh ingredients. Tropical fruit is available during every meal and there is a salad bar set up during most lunches and dinners. Vegan, nut-free, gluten-free and lactose-free diets can be accommodated with advance notice. Tea, coffee and filtered water are available 24/7.
Volunteers can enjoy weekly evening yoga session on the rooftop, night fishing trips, weekly movie nights, monthly bike tours and monthly barbecues! Additional travel adventures are available for an extra fee, and a few recommendations are listed below.
Adventure Tour (Highly Recommended):
Extend your stay in Sri Lanka by participating in a seven-day Adventure Tour! This adventure tour includes a game drive, visits to waterfalls, a long train ride, an overnight stay at a riverside eco lodge, visit to temples, a village walk, visit to a spice grove, a visit to Lion Rock, time in the local market as well as a trip to Negombo Beach!