© 2022 GOECO | All rights reserved
Develop & Design | Msite
Galle is a beautiful area in southern Sri Lanka that is surrounded by lush greenery and is in proximity to world-class beaches! Many of the nearby beaches are prime surfing spots and others are more relaxing. There is even a turtle lagoon nearby. Galle is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, complete with Dutch-colonial buildings, ancient religious buildings, museums and more. Galle is also quite trendy, and is home to cafes, specialty shops and boutique hotels.
Sea turtles in Sri Lanka are an endangered species. The species is threatened by human poachers and predators. The Sri Lankan government has approved the creation of hatcheries in order to conserve this species.
Volunteers on this program spend 60% of their time working in the hatchery, and the other 40% on activities such as beach cleans and creating awareness within the local community. During nesting season (November-May) there are two night patrol camps each month where participants camp out on the beach and protect the nests. Please note that this schedule may change.
Typical hatchery tasks may include:
Please note: Depending on the age and abilities of the kids, the local project coordinator and hatchery staff will assign tasks accordingly. Due to the cultural norms of Sri Lanka, participants are required to remove anybody piercings and cover all visible tattoos while at the project site.
Internet: Each volunteer may use up to 10 GB of Wi-Fi in the volunteer house during their stay.
Laundry: Laundry services are available for an additional fee.
Accommodations: Volunteers stay together in a pleasant house with 13 bedrooms/dormitories. Families with kids should book a private en-suite double/triple room/s at the volunteer house (see Additional Options below). This property has a swimming pool, dining area, kitchen and a rooftop terrace with a view of the ocean. The house has eco-friendly features including solar heating panels. There may be up to 57 volunteers in the house at a time. During the busy months between June to December, the Volunteer House may be fully booked, thus volunteers will be accommodated at a partner Guesthouse, which is a beachfront property on Unawatuna Beach located less than a 100 metre walk from Volunteer House.
Food: Three meals per day will be prepared by the house chefs, using local, fresh ingredients. Tropical fruit is available during every meal and there is a salad bar set up during most lunches and dinners. Vegan, nut-free, gluten-free, and lactose-free diets can be accommodated with advance notice. Tea, coffee and filtered water are available 24/7.
Volunteers can enjoy weekly evening yoga session on the rooftop, night fishing trips, weekly movie nights, monthly bike tours and barbecues! Additional travel adventures are available for an extra fee.
Adventure Tour (Highly Recommended):
Extend your stay in Sri Lanka by participating in a seven-day Adventure Tour! This tour includes a game drive, visits to waterfalls, a long train ride, an overnight stay at a riverside eco lodge, visit to temples, a village walk, visit to a spice grove, a visit to Lion Rock, time in the local market and a trip to Negombo Beach!