Frequently Asked Questions
The well-being and safety of our volunteers, students and interns is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the situation with the World Health Organization and are following the instructions of the official health authorities where our projects are located. In addition, all local staff are taking extra hygiene precautions and educating the volunteers as well as the community on these matters.
Volunteer programs that are now open!
Please click on the following link to see the list of programs that are currently accepting volunteers, under strict local health and safety guidelines.
List of volunteer programs that are currently open
Changes in your travel plans? We guarantee flexibility!
It is important for GoEco that all our volunteers feel comfortable and safe to travel. So, if you feel the need to change your travel plans for any reason we can help you reschedule your trip for free, provided we have at least 31 days notice.
GoEco guarantees you the flexibility to reschedule your trip anytime within 2 years of your original start date.
We have been able to revise our previous cancellation policy and can now allow volunteers affected by the travel restrictions to reschedule their trip to any start date in 2021 and 2022 for no extra cost. Read our full policy here.
Alternatively, we will be happy to help you find another GoEco program worldwide. GoEco is a global organization supporting over 40 countries with over 150 volunteer projects.
To read more about how GoEco began and expanded to what we are today, take a glance through our About Us section.
Also, check out what past volunteers had to say about their GoEco volunteer trips via our Volunteer Blog or through volunteer reviews at GoOverseas.com and GoAbroad.com. Feel free to join our Facebook Fan page and post to hear about the experiences of past volunteers.
We offer excellent customer service from start to finish. We answer our phone calls and always return emails within 1 – 2 days or sooner. GoEco also has a 24-hour emergency phone number for volunteers to use if they need support while traveling.
GoEco has been operating since 2006 and has placed more than 15,000 volunteers at projects.
The GoEco Placement Coordinators are knowledgeable about all of our projects and will of course help you choose the best project(s) if you are
GoEco continually updates the website in an effort to ensure that all information is easily accessible and accurate. We regularly add new projects that our volunteers will find interesting.
Once you register, GoEco will make sure you have all the information you need before your trip and will check in with you during your trip. That means should a problem arise, GoEco is there for you and will help find a resolution.
GoEco representatives have been to each of the projects we represent in order to vet the projects. We only work with projects that value our volunteers and offer an excellent volunteering experience.
The costs are to provide food and housing for volunteers, training, supervision and safety precautions as well as certain costs included in running the projects successfully. Know that without your physical and financial help, these organizations would not have the power necessary to continue the fabulous and worthwhile work they commit themselves to. The participation fee varies depending on the location and needs of each specific program.
Please note that all prices listed on the website are in USD.
Our deposits have a 100% flexibility guarantee. In the event of any schedule changes down the road, your deposit is valid to any program on our website for 2 years.
For full details on our deposit and payment policies, please refer to our terms and conditions.
- Accommodations for the duration of your stay
- Airport pickup upon arrival to the country
- In-country orientation and training to familiarize volunteers with their surroundings and the work they will be doing
To find out exactly what is included for the project in which you are interested, read through the “What’s Included” section on the project’s site page.
Additionally, if you are a student, many universities offer grants and scholarships for trips such as ours which have both educational and philanthropic components. Check with your university to see if you are eligible.
Take a read through our Volunteer Fundraising page for tips on how to successfully raise money for your trip!
1. Once you have decided on your preferred project, choose one of the available dates from the drop down start date menu, along with the number of weeks you would like to volunteer. The project costs will automatically update. Next, click on the green "Apply Now" button and fill out the form. Once completed, press the "Submit Application" button.
2. At this stage your request will be sent automatically to a placement coordinator who will contact you and answer any questions you may have about GoEco and the project. If you do not have any questions for a placement coordinator, you may follow the on screen prompt and proceed to make your deposit online. This will automatically send your request to the operations team, who will then proceed to secure your placement.
3. Usually, your placement can be confirmed in less than 10 days, following these steps:
• Within 48 hours you will be sent a link to your online application- submit this right away.
• If your project starts within 60 days of your registration, we must receive your balance payment in full before moving forward with your trip planning.
• Upon receipt of your completed application, we will communicate with the local field team to confirm your placement.
• Once confirmed, the operations team will send you a confirmation email with all of the details about your project and the next steps required to plan for your trip.
31 days or more days before departure – Participant forfeits only the deposit payment;
within 30 days before departure or no-show – Participant forfeits 100% of the value of the placement fee (deposit + balance).
Changes: Participants may also change their order in writing according to the following terms:
31 days or more before departure - Participants can transfer 100% of the deposit and balance payments to another program on the GoEco website;
within 30 days before departure - A change of project location is no longer possible, yet the full program payment will be saved for you on the same program to reschedule. There are no additional fees to reschedule, however if the cancellation is only days away from your start date there could be some unavoidable fees that need to be paid if non-refundable services were already paid on the ground, this will be handled on a case by case basis.
*In some cases, a minor may be allowed to participate with either supervision by the minor’s parent/guardian on the project or written consent from a parent/guardian. If you have questions regarding minors participating in one of our projects, our representatives would be happy to address your individual situation and discuss the options with you.
Our projects in Central and South America, however, all require at least beginner’s level Spanish. For these projects, there is often a Spanish course incorporated into the orientation to brush up on your conversation skills, as well as the option to continue taking Spanish lessons throughout the duration of your volunteer work.
Please choose the insurance provider that best suits your needs. For your convenience, we have compiled a list of reputable insurance providers which offer various policies including travel medical and/or trip cancellation:
While GoEco partners with the three companies listed above, you should make a free and fully informed decision to select any insurance provider that best suits your needs.
Private rooms can often be arranged for a single participant or a couple if notified ahead of time and for an additional fee. These arrangements can be made following registration.