What's not Included
Volunteers will have the opportunity to choose their starting city from a list of major cities including Melborne, Brisbane or Sydney (full list is available after registration). You will then embark on your unique volunteering expedition. The following are examples of some typical volunteer placements:
- A two-week placement in Victoria, starting in Melbourne, could include a week in the countryside helping with land restoration, before heading to the Great Ocean Road for a week of boardwalk construction with fabulous views!
- A four-week placement in the Northern Territory could include helping on conservation projects in National Parks along the coast or helping with bird surveys on a remote cattle station.
- A six-week placement in Queensland could see you visiting the World Heritage-listed Fraser Island (the world's largest sand island) for boardwalk construction, followed by some time in and around Brisbane helping with urban conservation projects; such as tree planting and weed control, before finishing with a fortnight of rainforest re-forestation.
The projects offer volunteers the opportunity to contribute, in a practical way to conservation of the Australian environment. Detailed volunteer responsibilities will only be determined upon arrival; however, work on the projects involve:
- Tree planting
- Erosion and salinity control
- Seed collection
- Construction and maintenance of walking tracks
- Endangered flora and fauna surveys
- Weed control
- Habitat restoration
- Heritage restoration
Working hours and days:
Volunteers generally spend one or two weeks at each project site. Project hours are generally from 8am to 4pm. Projects take place in both urban and rural areas. Be prepared for the weather - different parts of Australia can be very hot or cold, so you'll need appropriate clothing (and sleeping bag) for the climate in the area you've chosen to visit.
- Minimum age 18, maximum age 70
- Tourist visa to Australia. Recommended to apply 6 weeks before departure.
- Basic English
- Good physical fitness
- Love of the outdoors and interest in the environment