The project aims to inspire and educate orphaned, disadvantaged, and vulnerable children. The main focus is to promote community development in a sustainable way through childhood education, mentoring, and career planning. This project works specifically with volunteers who are over 30 years of age to provide this community with strong, mature adult mentors whom the children can admire and respect. The skills and expertise of our volunteers are welcomed by the program and volunteers are encouraged to spread their knowledge.
What's not Included
Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and is referred to as the ‘The Mother City’ by locals. It has a cultural heritage spanning more than 300 years and breathtaking scenery, from the iconic Table Mountain to the glorious Cape beaches. It is a modern city with cosmopolitan areas boasting nightclubs and trendy restaurants, as well as rustic and unique suburbs with quirky markets and cafés. With a comfortable Mediterranean climate, Cape Town is great place to volunteer all year round.
Your day will be split into a morning volunteer project and an afternoon project. You will have the opportunity to focus your time and skills at any of these projects:
- Community Pre-schools and Educare Centres: This program works with local preschools serving underprivileged children aged six months to seven years. The aim is to give these children a much needed head start to their education. Here, you will assist with day-to-day needs of the preschool, including helping teachers with lesson plans, providing one-on-one attention for the children when possible, and assisting teachers with the daily school routine.
- Community refurbishment: Here, you will help build, restore, and renovate damaged or run-down facilities in the surrounding communities. Past volunteers have helped build playgrounds, paint classrooms, plant gardens, and fix broken windows.
- Home for children infected and/or affected by HIV/AIDS: At this project, you will work with children who have experienced interrupted learning and are struggling to keep up in school. You will facilitate small group activities to inspire and promote educational development in these children, while giving them the individual attention and positive reinforcement that they need to flourish.
- Home for children: Volunteers on this project will ensure orphaned, abused and vulnerable children receive the attention they need and deserve at a community-based foster care. Volunteers add value by planning and implementing creative expression, educational and enriching activities for children 2-16 years of age. Volunteers also work closely with foster mothers to support healthy development and recognize each individual child's needs.
- Masiphumelele Library: You will be helping with the after-school program at this library, one of the best community centers the area has to offer. This is a safe haven where children are welcome to drop-in anytime for crafts projects, games, puzzles, and reading support.
- Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation Youth Center: At this project, you will help plan workshops for the community's youth aged 12 and up on how to make healthy choices in all aspects of their lives.
During school holidays activities may differ from the usual schedule, but the work will be equally engaging and rewarding.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Minimum age 30
- Good level of English
- Flexibility and open mindedness
- High level of independence and emotional strength
- Motivation to work with children
- Immunizations (please consult your local travel clinic)
- Police clearance form
South Africa is a beautiful country with plenty to offer tourists. The country usually conjures up images of wild animals roaming about in Kruger National Park, and while this is a must see for every visitor, there is so much more to discover and explore. The program provides optional trips for an additional cost to the world-famous Table Mountain, Boulders Beach, and the Cape Point Peninsula. For volunteers looking to try something new, the program organizes surfing lessons, sky diving and shark cage diving for an additional fee.
Project Orientation (Included):
On arrival at the Cape Town project, you will receive a comprehensive orientation, including:
- Introduction to Cape Town and the surrounding areas.
- A general overview of what to expect during your time both on project and around Cape Town, as well as information to support the quality of your experience.
- Information on Code of Conduct and Child Protection policies, as well as best practice guidelines for your specific program.