This project is designed to bring support and education to the communities of Sing Buri. Project coordinators place volunteers from all over the world in schools and orphanages so they can either help with teaching or construction work.
What's not Included
Sing Buri is a beautiful town located 142 km north of Bangkok. It was founded during the reign of King Rama V through consolidation of 3 small towns located on the bank of The Chao Phraya River, north of Ang Thong. The town boasts an impressive collection of temples and colorful architecture that create the perfect backdrop for the numerous festivals held during the year.
You will have the option to choose between teaching at local schools and participating in construction projects at one of two orphanages.
Teaching: At this placement you will teach English to students aged 4-21 in one of many rural schools in Sing Buri. The schools accept an informal teaching approach, meaning that you are able to use your own methods or style to educate the students. When volunteering, your duties may include:
- Informally teaching and assisting with school work
- Creating activities for the students
- Arranging workshops for cultural exchange, environmental awareness, and other important issues
Orphanage Effort: Most large orphanages in Thailand also have a primary and secondary school on their grounds for both orphans and poor children in remote area of the country. The children from outside the orphanage have limited access to education so they travel to the orphanage for lessons and return home during certain periods of the year. The orphans remain in the orphanage year-round where they can enjoy a safe and secure environment with food and housing. You will be volunteering at two main orphanages and your duties may include:
- Maintaining the orphanage buildings and grounds.
- Renovating and light construction projects
IMPORTANT: When confirming your dates, please take note of the long holidays (which are from mid-March until mid-May and during all of October). During such times the kids leave the orphanages and go back to their families or their villages, and special classes and English camps are arranged, as well as renovation projects. Additionally, when relevant, volunteers are able to take part in the cultural festivities occurring in the area.
Please take note of the project's minimum requirements:
- Good level of English
- Motivation to work with children and meet new cultures
- Able to work in hot and humid climate
- Full travel and medical insurance
- Immunizations (please consult your doctor)
Travel Extras (Not Included):
You can extend your stay with one or more great program add-ons for an additional fee. Choose from one or more of the following and sign up upon registration.
- Culture Week (highly recommended): This 7-day jam-packed week is a great opportunity to learn about Thailand and meet other international volunteers. It offers you tours around historical areas (Ayutthaya historical park), Thai language lessons, cooking lessons, taste-testing (Thai BBQ), school visits, sightseeing (Wat Phra Phutthabat Temple (Buddha's footprint)), and so much more! This week will ease you into your volunteering experience by providing you with an better understanding of the history, culture and customs. Please note that the schedule can change at any time based on the weather conditions.
- Thai Boxing: Sign up for authentic and traditional Thai boxing classes under the provincial champion of the Sing Buri district. Learn the basic principles and foundations of the exquisite art form, Muay Thai.
- Hua Hin Beach & Volunteer Week: This jam-packed week will help you make the most of your experience in Thailand. You will have the chance to go on cultural excursions to learn about Thai Buddhism and assist monks with daily chores. You will also have the opportunity to teach local children with some time dedicated to beach conservation. On a few afternoons you will have free time to relax at the beaches of Hua Hin!
- Jungle Trek in Khao Yai National Park: Get ready for adventure as you trek through the tropical forests which cover Khao Yai National Park. You'll have the opportunity to attend a traditional tribal dance show, trek to spectacular waterfalls and caves hidden in the jungle and more!
- Thai Buddhism Immersion in Wang Nam Khiao: During this week-long program you will be introduced to Buddhism. You will have the chance to discuss Buddhism with a local monk and enjoy a 2-day stay at the Wat Suptawee Temple to learn walking and sitting meditation forms as well as experience the daily life of monks.